Beverage can – favourit packaging
Aluminium beverage cans due to their favorable characteristics, are one of the most popular packaging materials of beverages, energy drinks and beers. Cans preserve their content, they don't let light, odors and of course liquids to go beyond its walls. Of course this is not the only reason why producers use this packaging.
Efficiency of beverage cans by weight
Beverage cans are continuously being further developed. Thanks to precise engineering, nowadays a human hair is thicker than the wall of the cans. This not just reduces the average weight to around 16 grams (0,5l size) - the weight of a CD disk -, but allows them to be transported very effectively. Transportation efficiency of these cans is considerably high; taking into consideration that packaging represents only 7% of the volume in a full transport. The same amount of liquid filled in alu cans needs half of the transportation capacity as glass.
The same amount of beverage needs 2 trucks filled in glass bottles, but just 1 truck filled in beverage cans = transport efficiency!
Sustainability of beverage cans
Did you know, that recycle one can saves enough energy to run your PC up to 3 hours?
One of the beverage can's greatest advantages is its sustainability. Consider this:
- The can is the most recycled drinks pack in the world
- Every can that is collected will be recycled and can be recycled infinitely, with no loss of quality = metal is the "permanent material"!
- Each can recycled substantially reduces the carbon footprint of the next can
- A recycled beverage can could be back on the shelf within 60 days - a can becomes a can
- Extensive collection and recycling structures exist that are environmentally effective and economically efficient
- The beverage can is a highly efficient and economic package to produce, fill and distribute
- The can is a lightweight, convenient and unbreakable pack that protects the product perfectly
- Each beverage can is made of at least 50% recycled material
- The beverage can helps fillers achieve their own sustainability goals
- Recycling of beverage cans safe energy and primary material sources
- Reusing recycled metals saves as much as 95% of the energy needed to make cans from virgin ores
- The energy for more than 55 % of the total world production of beverage cans comes from hydroelectric power plants
- 1 kg of recycled aluminium saves 8 kg of bauxite, 4 kg of chemicals, 14 kWh of electric power and up to 20 kg of greenhouse gases